Offsetting your palm oil use, how to use Credits for claims and RSPO PalmTrace marketplace fees.
If you are buying Credits to account for your palm (kernel) oil use, you can communicate your efforts towards a more sustainable palm (kernel) oil market by claiming these efforts on- and off-product. Claims can be made anywhere – in store, on pack, and in marketing materials, provided that they abide by the rules below:
Messaging ALLOWED in storytelling in product-related communications includes:
- Supports the production of certified sustainable palm (kernel) oil
- Supporting certified sustainable palm (kernel) oil
Messaging NOT ALLOWED in storytelling in product-related communications:
Anything that can lead consumers to believe that the product contains sustainable oil palm. Retailers of branded products, with the manufacturer’s written permission, can claim their support off-product. Retailers of own label products, who may have purchased the Credits for themselves or asked their manufacturer to do so on their behalf, can make both on- and off-product claims.
For on-product claims:
- Must use the RSPO Trademark label with the tag, “CREDITS”
- Must display the RSPO Trademark licence number
- 100% of the palm oil-based ingredients must be covered by RSPO Credits or physical certified material.
1 + 1 = 2
Once you have decided to offset your used palm oil by purchasing RSPO Credits, it is time to do the maths. Each Credit stands for one tonne of certified palm (kernel) oil. Some example calculations on how you could account for palm oil use are shown in the calculations below:
- Offsetting total palm oil use
- Offsetting palm oil derivatives
- Offsetting products sold in store
Step-by-step guide for buying Credits
A step-by-step guide to Credit trading.View more
Information on off-market deals and supporting independent smallholders.View more
Checks and audits
Read more on how and whether your company will be audited for using RSPO PalmTrace Credits.View more