Become a member
RSPO Members represent seven stakeholder groups within the supply chain, completing the demand and supply loop and everything in between.
The RSPO Independent Smallholders Group is defined as Ordinary Oil Palm Grower Members who are directly involved in palm oil.
Are you an independent smallholder group?
Find out here.
Continue to Step 2
Not Sure →
Check if you’re considered a Scheme Smallholder. You are most likely part of a group that is already a RSPO Member. Learn more [ more to be hyperlinked to: Scheme Smallholder Section ] how to become RSPO Certified for Scheme Smallholder
Not an Independent Smallholder and not sure which Membership Category is right for you? Take our online survey to find the category that fits you best (scroll to bottom of page and click “Membership Categories”): https://rspo.org/members/why-join-rspo
Log into MyRSPO and apply for membership by choosing the Smallholder Group Manager sub-sector.
View step-by-step instructions on how to apply for membership here (Step 2 onwards). The list of documents required for the Membership Application process can be seen here with further details here (open Annex 2 on the description in pop-up).
The RSPO Membership Team will review the documents submitted, conduct due diligence on the applying organisation, and will then send an invoice for first year’s membership via email. The team will also request any additional documentation, if needed.
Annual Membership Fee for SH Group Manager:
Land Size (Ha) / Fees (Euro)
- > 1999 Ha / 2000 Euro
- 1000 Ha – 1999 Ha / 1000 Euro
- < 1000 Ha / 250 Euro
After documents have been reviewed and meet RSPO membership criteria, application is posted on RSPO website for a mandatory two weeks for public comments.
Independent Smallholder Group pays invoice for first year of membership.
Independent Smallholder Group completes additional documentation received via email from RSPO Membership Team, if applicable.
RSPO Membership Team reviews application and public consultation feedback . If any comments are received, applicant needs to clarify.
RSPO Membership Team submits applications for internal review and approval.
RSPO Membership Team sends confirmation letter to Independent Smallholder Group via email.
Independent Smallholder profile published on RSPO website.
ISH Group Extensions
What if my ISH Group decides to extend new members/ plans in the upcoming RSPO audit?
Please submit the update of the new ISH members/ plot by filling the RSPO disclosure form template. After completing the form, please send it along with a shapefile for each plot to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] It also applies if any group member resigns. Kindly be aware that RSPO will produce the LUCA report based on the accuracy of the data submitted. During the analysis period, Independent Smallholders may be contacted for more information. This process is ideally to be completed prior to being audited by the CB.
Definition of independent smallholders
Smallholders must form a group and assign a manager. For the purpose of admission to RSPO membership, where the manager is:
- An individual – the smallholder group must register itself as a legal entity before applying for membership.
- An entity – the Group Manager as an entity shall apply for membership.
Documents required for smallholders
- Proof of business registration (e.g., certificate of incorporation, certificate of good standing, articles of incorporation or other similar documents).
- Reporting template for disclosure of areas cleared without prior HCV Assessment since November 2005 (Smallholders).The disclosure form for Independent Smallholders can be downloaded here.Should you have smallholders with land clearance after November 2005 without prior HCV assessment, the LUCA process is compulsory for the smallholders. The process will be conducted by the RSPO and each farmer shall provide:1. Polygon shapefiles
2. HCV Assessment Report Dated
- Clear evidence that members of the Smallholders Group have agreed to appoint the applicant to act as their Group Manager, such as official minutes of the meeting (preferred). If the official minutes of the meeting are unavailable, an official letter with the group letterhead is required. The letter states group members agreed to appoint the individual as group manager with an annex of signatures from the members that corresponds to the number of farmers (list of farmers and disclosure).
- A statement by the Group Manager to declare that they will represent the Smallholders Group with integrity and commit to the RSPO standards.
- A list of all members in the Smallholders Group with their individual land details (size of land and land registration number). This list must be signed by the appointed Group Manager.
- Two names (either company or an individual) as reference for due diligence purposes.The template can be downloaded here.
Photo Credit: RSPO/Jonathan Perugia