I am a smallholder who has not achieved RSPO Certification yet. Can I still get support?
Yes! As a smallholder, you can get support through:
- Trainings under our Smallholders Training Academy (STA)
- Submit the projects you need help with through the RSPO Smallholder Engagement Platform (RSEP)
- As an independent smallholder, you can also apply for our RSPO Smallholder Support Fund (RSSF) to gain financial assistance
How do I know if I am an independent smallholder or a scheme smallholder?
You are an independent smallholder if you meet this criteria:
- The total size of your palm oil production area is less than or equal to 50 hectares (ha) if no threshold is defined in a National Interpretation (NI) or less than or equal to the maximum size defined in a NI (e.g. for Indonesia the maximum size is 25 ha or below and for Ecuador it is 75 ha or below).
- you have the enforceable decision-making power of the operation of the land and production practices.
- You have the freedom to choose how you use the land, type of crops to plant, as well as how to organise, manage and finance the land
- Meet any further criteria relative to the applicability of this standard as provided in the NI of their country.
You are a scheme smallholder if you meet this criteria:
- The enforceable decision-making power on the operation of the land and production practices; and/or
- The freedom to choose how they utilise their land, types of crops to plant, and how they manage them (how they organise, manage and finance the land) (source : RSPO P&C 2018);
- Smallholders that may be structurally bound by contract, credit agreement or by planning to a particular mill, but the association is not necessarily limited to such linkages. Other terms commonly used for schema smallholders include associated and/or plasma smallholders (source : RSPO Certification System for P&C 2017).
Quick links to Smallholder Resources
- 2019 RSPO Independent Smallholder (ISH) Standard (for independent smallholders)
- 2018 RSPO Principles and Criteria (P&C) (for scheme smallholders)
Training materials on the 2019 RSPO Independent Smallholder (ISH) Standard
- RSPO ISH Standard Incident Form Template
- Video guide on filling out the Disclosure Template
- Book & Claim in RSPO PalmTrace for independent smallholders
- RSPO Status Code of Conduct Membership Rules
Challenges of smallholder certification and lessons learned
- Presentations of Smallholders Experience on Certification – Challenges and Lessons Learned
- Lessons Learned from Gapoktan Tanjung Sehati for getting RSPO Certification
- Diagnostic Study on Indonesian Oil Palm Smallholders – by International Finance Corporation
Disclaimer: The smallholder section may contain links to third-party websites or resources. RSPO does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for their availability, accuracy, and related content. You are solely responsible for your use of any such websites or resources.
Photo Credit: RSPO/Jonathan Perugia