Welcome to AskRSPO

Find the most commonly asked questions about RSPO.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Please get in touch with us below and we'll get back to you soon.

SEND A QUESTION
Membership No.

1-0249-18-000-00

Category

Ordinary

Sector

Oil Palm Growers

Country/Region

Indonesia

Member since

12 April 2018

Badan Usaha Milik Desa "Karya Mandala Makmur"

Profile

BUMDes is a Village's Business Entity managed by the community and Village Officials who wish to strengthen the village's economy and was established from the village's needs and potentials. The village government contributes to 51% of the capital and the rest 49% comes from the community.
Karya Mandala Makmur also has various business units such as hardware store, fertilizers allocation, and certification unit for palm oil smallholders.

Organisation's Commitments Toward Sustainability

  • How will your organisation promote the RSPO internally and to other stakeholders?
    BUMDes' role in supporting RSPO program is through socialization to the smallholder farmers in Lada Mandala Jaya Village so they will get involved in palm oil certification process. Aside from that, BUMDes is supporting every step that ICS takes to promote RSPO certification program. In external level, we develop relationship with the government, in this case the subdistrict, district and related instances, to help the community obtain the documents needed for RSPO certification process. We also build relationship with private palm oil companies in terms of helping the smallholders to get training in cultivation and other technical skills, to improve smallholders manage their plantations better and more sustainable.
  • Where relevant, what processes is the organisation establishing to engage with interested parties, for example to resolve conflict or to use sustainably produced palm oil?
    We are assuring palm oil businesses that after smallholders get certified, the quality of the fruits would be better and fit the company's standards. Therefore, the company will obtain profit by buying oil palms from smallholders farmers in Lada Mandala Jaya Village. In conflict resolution, BUMDes always stresses to the parties involved to be able to sit together, solving the conflict by putting discussion to reach consensus as a main principle, which is supported by existing facts and proofs.
  • Where relevant, how will your organisation work towards implementing the RSPO Principles and Criteria or assessing supplier performance against these criteria?
    BUMDes Karya mandala makmur has an ICS unit that will always assist the smallholders in conducting principles of RSPO. Beginning with trainings for cultivation, HCV, PHT, and APD. In its process, ICS will assist the smallholders with the technicalities on the field, so the smallholders could cultivate the palm oil better, preserve the environment, and produce palm oil sustainably.
  • Any other information that would support the application such as what your organisation hopes to gain from joining RSPO and how it would support RSPO?
    Oil palm gives an advantage to the economy, environment and to the smallholder farmers themselves. Our greatest hope is our palm oil farmers will become sustainable, socially and environmentally friendly farmers.
  • View all responses

    DISCLAIMER

    This material and accompanying data is based on submissions from RSPO members which has not been independently verified and is provided by the RSPO and authors without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. By making use of this material you do so at your own risk and you accept that the author shall not be liable for any claims, liabilities, losses, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising.