The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has 5,000 members from 101 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
The Senior Executive, Human Rights and Social Standards, (Innovation & Impact) will be responsible in supporting the Manager, Human Rights and Social Standards in providing functional & technical support on all matters relating to human rights and social standards development, implementation and particular to innovation and impact of the RSPO Standards on human rights and social standards in the Palm Oil sector.
The location of this role is Malaysia.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- Together with the Manager of Human Rights and Social Standards (Innovation & Impact), develop advice and guidance on all issues on Human Rights and Social Standards contained in RSPO’s Principles & Criterion both for internal and external stakeholders.
- Together with the Manager of Human Rights and Social Standards (Innovation & Impact), provide inputs in the formulation, implementation and review of RSPO’s existing standards, procedures, and guidelines, including developing documents for practical, stepwise implementation and recommendations such as guidances;
- Assist in coordinating and managing issues related to innovation and impact of human rights and social standards in RSPO’s Principles & Criteria for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent the Secretariat at selected events / forums as and when required;
- Assist in preparing responses to questions on human rights and social standards including but not exhaustive: complaints; Third Party surveys; AskRSPO;
- Assist in proposing and developing revisions to the RSPO standards on human rights and social standards, including key documents, relevant certification, technical procedures and guidelines, and ensure that they are based on global best practices, such as the ILO Labour Standards and other international conventions, protocols and recommendations.
- Assist in making recommendations or proposals on human rights and social standards where there are opportunities for innovation and impact.
- Support in drafting Guidelines/Guidance/Procedures to facilitate compliance with human rights and social standards.
- Support in developing strategies on measuring impact of human rights and social standards in the Principles & Criteria.
- Support the Manager, Human Rights and Social Standards (Innovation and Impact), in the assessment of opportunities and the applicability of new technologies/tools to assist members in compliance to RSPO Standards including facilitate development/piloting of tools, best management practices relevant to implementing human rights and social standards.
- Support the facilitation and development of relevant standards, guidance & risk based assessment tools applicable to human rights and social standards;
- Assist the Human Rights and Social Standards Unit (HRSS) in all matters related to human rights and social standards review, development and amendment including socialization. This includes administrative and technical duties as assigned;
- Assist the Manager, Human Rights and Social Standards (Innovation and Impact) to collaborate with other Units and Departments to support the development of relevant databases related to human rights and social standards, for planning, monitoring and impact evaluation purposes;
- Assist the Manager, Human Rights and Social Standards (Innovation and Impact) to support other Units and Departments on providing responses to questions on human rights and social standards including providing presentations and research
- Support the coordination and facilitation of training and socialisation which includes drafting of presentations, materials and executing activities for RSPO Members and external parties on RSPO’s human rights and social standards.
- Assist in coordinating and facilitating meetings and activities of HRWG’s Subgroups and the designated projects under those Subgroups.
- Ensure that the relevant internal stakeholders, Subgroups, Working Group (WG), Task Forces, Standing Committee activities are regularly kept up to date on related discussions and meetings;
- Assist in the implementation of selected projects as approved by the Secretariat/Standards Standing Committee/Board of Governors. These may include production of technical documents, presentations and other required outputs as well as technical and financial monitoring of projects;
- Support the relevant departments and regional offices within the RSPO Secretariat in ensuring that the work of the HRSS unit is implemented.
- Assist in onboarding, coordinating and supervising external consultants and service providers that work on human rights and social standards related projects or assignments.
- Assist in preparing communication materials related to faciliatate compliance of human rights and social standards, including Guidance Documents.
- Monitor news related to RSPO’s human rights and social standards implementation, and regularly update HRSS Unit and internal stakeholders on developments.
- Develop, organise and maintain Knowledge Management within the Human Rights & Social Standards Unit which includes the HRSS shared drive
- To organize and maintain relevant records of meetings, documents and database for the HRSS Unit. Ensuring that all meeting records, data, information and all other relevant documentations are well documented and are done in an effective and timely manner;
- Assist the other HRSS Managers, where necessary, (Interpretation and Compliance, & Decent Living Wage Programme) to prepare, organize, and facilitate the meetings and activities of the HRWG’s Subgroups and any other task force(s), Standing Committee(s) and the implementation of designated projects under the HRWG Subgroups. Prepare meeting reports and action points after every meeting and keep track of post meeting action points.
- Undertake necessary actions and activities under the coordination of the Manager, HRSS (Innovation and Impact), Head of Human Rights and Social Standards Unit (HRSS Unit) and Director of Standard Development Department to ensure effective implementation of human rights and social standards in the Principles & Criteria
Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
- A degree in the field of Law, Human Rights, political science. A Masters Degree in Human Rights is advantageous.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience
- Working experience in the palm oil industry is an advantage
- Experience in Human Rights work/research (e.g. gender, child rights, community rights, labour rights)
Technical & Professional Knowledge:
- Knowledge of the International Bill of Human Rights, in international Labour Conventions (under International Labour Organisation), and Human Rights Treaties and Conventions, Declarations, and Land Regulations which areis applicable in the production of palm oil globally
- Familiar with sustainability and human rights issues of the Palm Oil Industry including
- Extensive knowledge on the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and its related documents.
- Familiar with basic directives, human rights due diligence initiatives and requirements related to the Palm Oil industry
- Proficiency and experience with Google apps (Google drive, sheets, docs, slides, etc)
- Proficiency in Design applications is advantageous
- Proficiency in Salesforce (procurement and finance) management is advantageous
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and interact with different stakeholders
- Ability to source for relevant and pertinent information related to RSPO’s human rights and social standards
- Ability to read, digest and apply information to the work at hand
- Proficiency in English with good communication skills
- Ability in establishing cooperation and rapport with internal and external parties of different backgrounds and/or nationalities
- Communication skills
- Detail orientated
- Initiative and problem solving
- High integrity and a good team player
- Goal oriented and organized
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Highly organised
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected]. Please state “Job Application – Senior Executive, Human Rights & Social Standards (Innovation & Impacts)” in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.