The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a global, non-profit organisation with voluntary members working to transform the palm oil industry to make it sustainable. We are focused on bringing together stakeholders from across the palm oil supply chain to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil.
At RSPO, we believe that our success is built by the passion, dedication, skills, and expertise of our people. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
The Manager, HRSS (Decent Work Programme) will be responsible for leading and managing the Decent Work Programme (DWP). RSPO’s Decent Work Programme covers the following: Living Wage; secure form of employment and safe working conditions; social protection for workers; and labour rights and standard in accordance with the RSPO Standards so as to facilitate Members’ compliance.
The location of this role is Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- Act as the focal point and technical expert on DWP within the RSPO Secretariat with emphasis on Living Wage. This includes providing advise to the RSPO senior management on its strategic roadmap to meet the RSPO’s policy commitments on living wage (LW).
- To lead the development and revision of relevant key documents, procedures and guidelines, tools, related to DWP such as Living Wage, are in line with the RSPO approved methodologies/approaches and are based on best practices and/or requirements of relevant standards.
- Responsible for socializing and training for internal and external RSPO stakeholders, including but not limited to Certification Bodies and RSPO Members on topics of Decent Work such as Living Wage, prevailing wage, etc. including development of factsheet, presentation materials, etc.
- Facilitate research/analysis on gaps on DWP compliance by Members for continual improvement.
- Facilitate research and analysis on impacts of DWP that advances understanding, implementation, and sustainability of DWP in oil palm operations.
- To keep abreast with existing and emerging strategies on DWP and facilitate dialogue and collaboration with stakeholders on effective DWP implementation.
- Engage with partners and participate in peer learning/working group sessions that benefit advancement of DWP implementation in RSPO.
- To provide relevant updates and develop communications on DWP.
- Provide technical expertise on Living Wage including but not limited to:
- Develop a LW implementation strategy to support Members compliance with the RSPO Standards, including exploring stepwise approaches.
- Develop a system to measure the effectiveness of the LW strategy.
- Engage with partners and participate in peer learning/working group sessions that benefit advancement of LW implementation in RSPO.
- To provide relevant updates and develop communications on LW.
- Manage and facilitate the LW Task Force in accordance with its Terms of Reference.
- To support the Head ofHuman Rights and Social Standards Unit (HRSS Unit) on workplan and budget, KPIs, and relevant documentation related to DWP programme including managing and coordinating internal and external experts engaged on DWP matters.
- Undertake necessary actions and activities under the coordination of the Head of HRSS Unit and Director of Standards & Sustainability Department.
- Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
- University degree from top-tier programme in human rights, political science, social sciences, or equivalent. A graduate degree would be advantageous.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience dealing with labour rights and standards such as working and living conditions of workers (locals/migrants), living wage, social protection, operational safety and health.
- Work experience in research, analysis and/or training related to living wage and living income (based on the Anker Methodology or other credible Living Wage methodologies.
Technical and Professional Knowledge
- Good understanding of the Living Wage concept and Anker Methodology.
- Proficiency with the SA8000® Standard, based on internationally recognised standards of decent work, including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, ILO conventions, and national laws.
- Experience working in the palm oil industry or other agricultural commodities.
- Experience working in the area of livelihoods and poverty alleviation in Southeast Asia, Africa and/or Latin America, particularly in the palm oil provinces in these regions.
- Able to collaborate and consult with local stakeholders particularly relevant RSPO members, relevant government bodies, wage council at the national/provincial and/or district levels, worker unions and any other important stakeholders.
- Experience supervising, overseeing projects involving multiple stakeholders.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and interact with different stakeholders.
- A high proficiency in English with good communication skills.
- Ability in establishing cooperation and rapport with internal and external parties of different backgrounds and/or nationalities.
- High integrity and a good team player.
- Goal-oriented and organised.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Ability to be flexible on the implementation of projects and meet given deadlines.
- Strong strategic thinking skills
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected]. Please state “Job Application – Manager, Human Rights & Social Standards (Decent Work Programme)” in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.