The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its people. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phases of our development.
The GIS-Integrity Unit under the RSPO Secretariat’s Assurance division has been tasked to run the daily operations activities to support the continuous monitoring of RSPO Members concession with regards to deforestation, use of fire, and any non-compliant land clearing. This task requires the GIS Executive to ensure the GIS data best management practice is performed to support the operation of RSPO geospatial platforms such as GeoRSPO, Hotspot Hub, Firewatch and ArcGIS Online.
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Executive will report directly to the GIS Manager and be responsible for assisting in activities related to mapping and geospatial technologies for RSPO. Hence, the permanent staff is required to ensure these tasks can be delivered effectively and efficiently, as well as to keep the current institutional knowledge that has been developed by the current staff.
The location of this role is Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- To assist Manager, GIS in identifying potential geospatial applications for the betterment of RSPO.
- To maintain the database of spatial data under the RSPO scheme, which include, but not limited to RSPO member concession boundaries, certified area, certified mills, High Conservation Value (HCV) area, peat area, New Planting Area, and other auxiliary map layers within RSPO scheme.
- To work with the GIS team in managing RSPO geospatial systems, such as fire hotspot monitoring (FireWatch), Hotspot Hub, and HCV data, and communicate with members on ground verification.
- To configure and maintain the RSPO digital mapping platform, GeoRSPO.
- To evaluate concession boundary submission during membership applications and ACOP submissions.
Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
- Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Cartography, Remote Sensing, Geodesy and other related fields.
- At least 2 years’ experience in GIS in geospatial related fields
- Demonstrated experience in ArcGIS Online, WebGIS, GIS system and geospatial data interoperability, remote sensing, satellite image processing, ArcGIS Web Application Builder and Experience Builder is a must.
- Experience in managing large amounts of a variety of spatial data types, including raster, features, and database files
Technical & Professional Knowledge
- Expertise in GIS/Remote Sensing software, including ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Pro 3.x, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Web Application Builder and Experience Builder, QGIS, Global Mapper and similar programs.
- Experience working with ESRI platforms including ArcGIS Online (organizational account), and developing web maps.
- Experience working with Google Suite tools (Google Earth Engine)
- Knowledge of sustainability, conservation, environment, land use change, biodiversity management, and palm oil industry.
- Familiarity with Google Suite, MS Office, Salesforce, and ASANA
- Proficiency in cartography with an ability to produce high quality maps for publication.
- Strong analytical skills, including raster analysis, generating statistics and indicators from spatial data and automating common tasks.
- Excellent communication skills to develop and establish cooperation and rapport with respective users and teams at working levels from different nationalities.
- Ability in creative problem-solving and enjoy challenges.
- High proficiency in English with good writing and communication skills.
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the
opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected] Please state “Job Application – Executive, Geographic Information System (GIS)” in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.