The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has 5,000 members from 101 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
The Manager, Certification (Smallholders) will be fully responsible to provide on-going support to the Head of Certification. Nevertheless, this position is expected to have a dotted line to support Head of Smallholder Unit in ensuring the credibility of the RSPO smallholder certification and the effective implementation of the RSPO smallholder certification program globally.
The location of this role is Malaysia/Indonesia.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- To provide support to the Head of Certification in regards to effective implementation of smallholder certification related activities and in meeting the objectives set in the RSPO Operational Plan and other management plans and decisions.
- Under the guidance of the Certification Unit, the position acts as the focal point for technical and compliance issues relating to smallholder’s certification (independent and scheme). Responsible for providing support on all technical and compliance matters related to the implementation of the RSPO standards (RISS and P&C for Scheme) to members and certification bodies in conjunction with the Smallholder Unit.
- Providing support in the developments of related RISS and RSPO Principles & Criteria for Scheme smallholder certification documents, including support on awareness and interpretation of the RSPO certification system and standard documents.
- Providing supports in the preparation, documentation establishment and representation of the RSPO multi stakeholder process (CB interpretation forum, working groups, standing committee, roundtables, global events and task force)
- Responsible to review, approve, and identifying gaps in the implementation of the RSPO IT Platform (e.g. Palmtrace). This will include the support needed on technical matters for smallholder members (e.g. training, PalmTrace registration, data analysis) and ensuring flow of information on the status of credit transactions, raising awareness on the trading mechanism and updating the information on available credits in RSPO IT Platform.
- Maintain effective communication with smallholder members, Accreditation Body, and accredited Certification Bodies as well as certification related matters including monitoring on license expiry, audit requirements & compliance, Time Bound Plan and timely audit report issuance.
- Responsible for monitoring the CB’s performance in terms of compliance to the RISS and RSPO P&C certification system and standard requirements.
- Work closely with the Smallholder Unit to support the development of training programmes and events for smallholders, in cooperation with internal and external parties, in order to improve compliance and assurance understanding based on the smallholder needs
- Manage and maintain smallholder certification databases, assurance related notes (e.g. interim measures, interpretation, etc.), periodic updates and information using RSPO IT systems for internal reporting and external communications, knowledge sharing and dissemination.
- Responsible for providing response to members’ and stakeholder inquiries on matters related to smallholders’ certification issues (e.g. email, RIF, license request, etc.) in a timely manner.
Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned by the Head of Certification; Deputy Director, Compliance; and Director, Assurance
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
Education & Working Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Agriculture, forestry or socio-environmental science.
- Preferably with at least 5 years of experience in the palm oil/forestry sector; involved in works related to smallholders, sustainability, audits, consultancies, and/or certification
Technical and Professional Knowledge :
- Familiar with sustainability certification in palm oil / forestry (particularly related to smallholders).
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) or G-suites.
- Proficiency in English is a must plus having spoken at least one local country language (e.g. Bahasa Indonesia/Malaysia) with good communication skill and ability in establishing cooperation and rapport with internal and external parties particularly with smallholders
- Conscientious and willing to take responsibility.
- High integrity and a good team player.
- Goal oriented and organized
- Self-motivated and self-directed
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected]. Please state “Job Application – Manager, Certification (Smallholders)” in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.