The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 99 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its people. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phases of our development.
As Legal Counsel to the RSPO, this position is responsible for the legal and compliance work of the organisation and serves as a business partner to the Leadership Team and the Board of Governors. The Legal Counsel reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and is a member of the Finance and Business Solutions Division. S/he will lead the Legal & Compliance Unit to provide legal advice to management and internal stakeholders of RSPO across all functional divisions and the jurisdictions in which RSPO operates. S/he works closely with global colleagues and external counsels to oversee contracts and regulatory compliances, while helping to develop and implement global policies and procedures.
The Legal Counsel will assist in research on and coordination of establishing operations in new jurisdictions, ensures compliance with the organisation’s governing structures and takes the lead in identifying and managing potential legal risks for current activities and operations.
The location of this role is Malaysia.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Education & Working Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience including significant professional experience as in-house legal counsel to a multinational organisation.
- Experienced in advising senior management and Boards of international organisations.
- Prior success in building relationships and communicating with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated legal analytical skills, general business acumen and expertise in several of the core areas of work listed below:
- Compliance and rules applicable to non-profit organisations or certification schemes in Asia, Europe, Africa, US and LatAm.
- Employment law, anti-trust law and corporate governance.
- Enterprise-wide risk mitigation.
- Intellectual property, content management, licensing.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to understand complex legal concepts and translate those to non-lawyers to create practical processes, guidance and training.
- Strong project management skills with attention to detail.
- Strong teamwork and solution-oriented.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organisation.
- Flexibility in working hours to accommodate RSPO’s international office locations.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills and experienced in exercising influence and managing change.
- Fluency in English and proficiency in additional major Asian or European language(s) is an advantage.
- Proficient in Microsoft office and Google platform
- Well organised, flexible, and enjoys the administrative challenges of supporting an office of diverse people.
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected]. Please state “Job Application – Legal Counsel in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.