The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has over 5,200 members from 102 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
The successful candidate will contribute to achieving annual targets on market transformation in terms of uptake of sustainable palm oil and membership growth, expanding RSPO’s stakeholder network and maintaining RSPO’s reputation in Malaysia. The Manager, Market Transformation (Malaysia) will work together with the global RSPO Market Transformation team with a focus on reaching new members and increasing uptake of Certified Sustainable Palm Oil (CSPO).
The location of this role is Malaysia.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- Under the guidance of the Deputy Director Market Transformation (Malaysia & Thailand), assist in managing the daily operational activities of the Market Transformation division – support, plan, manage and facilitate activities related to increasing uptake of certified sustainable palm oil, membership growth, expanding RSPO’s stakeholder network and maintaining RSPO’s reputation in Malaysia (events, seminar, webinars, and other related matters).
- Engage with key stakeholders within Malaysia, primarily prospective members and stakeholders that can drive market transformation (Processors & Traders, Consumer Goods Manufacturers, Retailers including food service sector). This includes identifying and/or engaging potential and strategic new members.
- Maintain knowledge of regional economic, business, and sustainability trends to facilitate conversations with stakeholders.
- Support in identifying key risk areas to the organisation in the region and to handle these issues both proactively and reactively where necessary.
- Assist in responding to general stakeholder enquiries in an accurate and timely manner.
- Identify and participate in platforms and conferences that are strategic to the RSPO mandate, with relevant stakeholders from members, media, corporations etc.
Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of eight (8) years or Diploma with a minimum of twelve (12) years of sound experience in Corporate Social Responsibility, ESG, and/or business development in Malaysia with a strong understanding of sustainability and international development. A Master’s degree would be an advantage.
Together with excellent communication skills, must also have a proven track record of working with international stakeholders.
Due to many team members working in various global offices, ability to work across time zones and cultures is important. Fluency in English is required.
TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
Previous experience or knowledge of commodity supply chains would be an advantage.
Previous experience or knowledge regarding assisting companies in setting and implementing corporate sustainability and human rights policies would be an advantage
Comfortable managing budgets and able to plan and forecast effectively
Skilled internal and external relationship builder, with the ability to construct and maintain strong networks of policy influence within the industry and governing institutions.
Effective public speaking and presentation skills; and
Experience communicating complex issues or business strategy to stakeholders
WHAT’S ON OFFER