The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has 5,000 members from 101 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
The Manager, SDI (Smallholders) is responsible for leading the multistakeholder activities involved in the effective design, development, revision, interpretation and maintenance of RSPO requirements (Standard), applicable procedures and systems to drive adoption of RSPO Standards by small-scale independent growers. You are also expected to be familiar with new trends, technologies and research & analysis, as well as keep up with the market and social trends to constantly work towards a simplification and success of RSPO Standards/system/service. The latter will require you to understand the business extremely well, including the realities of how the practical day-to-day work and the related technologies function.
As a key member of the SDI Team, the position will be reporting to the Head, Standard Design & Innovation and indirect reporting to the Head, Smallholder, together with external experts and stakeholders, as required. To be successful in this role, you should be equipped with strong interpersonal skills and adept to work well with all levels across the organization, cultures and backgrounds (different stakeholder groups) to lead discussion and consultation reaching consensus. A proven ability to successfully plan and deliver work in a dynamic small team is essential.
The ideal candidate is familiar with small-scale agricultural commodity production, experienced in working with farmers and (ideally) standard setting and/or sustainability scheme and innovations.
The location of this role is Malaysia.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- Coordinate the effective management of day-to-day operations.
- Manage, facilitate and coordinate related and relevant working group and/or task force meetings.
- Maintain and lead revisions of RSPO Standards, systems, and procedures applicable for small-scale oil palm farmers.
- Coordinate with regional offices supporting national/ local interpretation processes Standards applicable to small-scale oil palm farmers.
- Periodically review and identify any problems with current implementation and develop solutions that ensure the system is fit for purpose, consistent with global best practice, emerging issues and future-proof.
- In close collaboration across thematic units of the department in developing and/or revising applicable tools and/or documents to facilitate members’ compliance with Standards.
- Provide expert support to impact assessments, assurance, and global programmes including benchmarking and endorsement.
- In close collaboration with the Assurance and Business Solution Team and external developers, design and improve relevant RSPO online platforms (e.g., Interpretation Platform) for Standards interpretation. Research and development team working in quest of fresh and novel ideas to improve.
- Maintain compliance with ISEAL’s Code for Standard Setting.
- Represent RSPO at conferences and events related to small-scale oil palm farmers’ Standard and implementation in the palm sector.
- Conduct, oversee, outline, pilot, and analyse the applicability and/or feasibility of new technologies, system, tools and/or approach to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of RSPO Standards implementation.
- Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
- University degree in an appropriate field (Agricultural, Social Science, Sustainable Development or equivalence). Additional academic qualification in the field of Business Management and Environmental & Social Management would be advantageous.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with small-scale farming business/ farmers
- Minimum 1 year of experience in sustainability/Certification/Standard
- Experience in internet research and database management
- Experience in global working environment
- Experience in and understanding of the dynamics of stakeholder engagement and process facilitation.
- Experience working effectively with data in an analytical capacity and synthesize complex information
- Previous experience in managing direct reports
TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
- Management and leadership skills, including delivering outcomes through multi stakeholder processes.
- Knowledge management
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and with the ability to learn other software applications quickly.
- Professional knowledge in time management and resourcefulness.
- Knowledge of third-party certification/ecolabelling schemes and their role in sustainability
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, negotiation, cross-team project management and consensus-building.
- Adept to work well with all levels across the organization, including the ability to communicate across cultures and the ability to say ‘no’ effectively and without negative consequences.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and be able to interact with diverse stakeholders.
- High integrity and a good team player
- Good writing skills and ability to deliver comprehensive analytical reports
- Excellent organizational and work planning skills, capable of multi-tasking on a wide range of topics
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected].
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.