The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has 5,000 members from 101 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
The Market Transformation Division is responsible for driving uptake of Certified Sustainable Palm Oil (CSPO) globally to close the gaps between its demand and supply by working with current and potential members and other stakeholders. This division is also responsible for the development and implementation of Shared Responsibility rules and frameworks, which ensure that all members of the RSPO can contribute to our mission by being proactive enablers of change.
The Deputy Director, India & China (Market Transformation) will report directly to the Director, Market Transformation to develop and implement strategies and initiatives to increase RSPO’s uptake and market share, with a focus on the Big 4 markets, namely India, China, Indonesia, Malaysia. S/he will manage the India and China teams to ensure that RSPO continues to grow its impact and market share in these markets. S/he will also participate in and support RSPO’s strategic thinking, planning, and policy development, and will be responsible for managing special campaigns and projects as directed from time to time by the Leadership Team.
The preferred location of this role is India or China.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
1. Engage with RSPO members and stakeholders in India and China to increase awareness and accelerate the adoption and uptake of RSPO certification
● Work closely with global and regional teams to close the gaps between supply and demand of CSPO targeted strategies.
● Map supply chains and leverage PalmTrace and Annual Communications of Progress (ACOP) to identify gaps.
● Support in the facilitation of MDSC/OWG and provide technical input and analysis.
● Support the development of strategies to improve market access and incentives for smallholders in consultation with Director, Technical and Director Market Transformation.
2. Recruit New Members in China and India
● Coordinate projects to recruit new members from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and close the gap between supply and demand of sustainable certified palm oil (CSPO)
● Commission a market study for existing markets showing the flows of CPO, CSPO, main buyers and users
● Conduct a gap analysis and map stakeholders in supply and demand to inform where to engage new members
● Develop targeted campaigns with NGOs, financial institutions, industry associations and governments to encourage new members to join RSPO in close collaboration with the Director of Stakeholder Engagement and Communications
● Engage with new buyers and suppliers: retailers, flagship companies, consumer goods manufacturers, traders, refiners, crushers
3. Shared Responsibility
● Support the development and implementation of the global Shared Responsibility (SR) strategy in consultation with Head of SR and Director, Market
● Use Shared Responsibility principles to encourage and reinforce commitment by consumer goods manufacturers and retailers in China and India to buy CSPO.
● Encourage multinational companies to jump start initial uptake using shared responsibility messages.
● Promote Shared Responsibility principles to encourage and reinforce processors & traders’ commitment to buy and sell CSPO.
● Seek ways to incentivise and acknowledge RSPO members in China and India who are leading change-makers for sustainable palm.
4. General Management and Outreach & Advocacy
● Coordinate recruitment, onboarding, coaching, mentorship and performance management for the teams in India and China.
● Represent the Market Transformation Division in internal and external meetings when necessary.
● Support the Director of Stakeholder Engagement and Communication and regional teams in India and China with the development of strategies for
government relations and policy advocacy programs, campaigns, events and initiatives.
● Support the Director of Stakeholder Engagement and Communication and regional teams in India and China with the development of strategies for communications and media campaigns, regional events and initiatives.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
A bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science/Management, Business Management, Sustainability, or related majors
10-15 years working experience, including experience in handling stakeholder engagement, market/business development preferably at a national or regional level
Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, strategy development and policy design
TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
- Strong business acumen with the ability to synthesise key themes and deliverables from objectives and strategies defined by senior management and the Leadership Team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication in English, negotiation, cross-team project management, and consensus-building.
- Highly resourceful team player with the ability to be effective independently and manage a regional team.
- Emotional maturity, patience, curiosity, and a sustained willingness to change one’s mind.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest
level of service and response.
- Market/Business Development skills to identify and engage with relevant organisations – recruit and convert.
- Ability to work independently, with a lateral mind that can recognise opportunities.
- Advanced analytical, commercial and negotiation skills.
- A strong communicator, with strong influencing skills.
- Agile and iterative approach to developing business opportunities.
- Proficiency in Apple OS and MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected]. Please state "Job Application – Deputy Director, India & China (Market Transformation)" in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.