The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 100 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
The Executive, Geographic Information System (GIS) will report directly to the Manager, GIS and be responsible for assisting in activities related to mapping and geospatial technologies for RSPO.
The location of this role is flexible.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- To assist Manager, GIS in identifying potential geospatial applications for the betterment of RSPO.
- To maintain the database of spatial data under the RSPO scheme, which include, but not limited to RSPO member concession boundaries, certified area, certified mills, High Conservation Value (HCV) area, peat area, New Planting Area, and other auxiliary map layers within RSPO scheme.
- To work with the GIS team in managing RSPO geospatial systems, such as fire hotspot monitoring, hotspot hub, and HCV monitoring for NPP areas, and communicate with members on ground verification.
- To configure and maintain RSPO digital mapping platform, GeoRSPO.
- To review land use change analysis (LUCA) reports submitted for New Planting Procedure (NPP) applications.
- To coordinate the report review process for LUCA Remediation and Compensation Procedure (RaCP).
- To evaluate concession boundary submission during membership applications and ACOP submissions.
- Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
- A bachelor’s degree in GIS, Remote Sensing, Geography, or other related fields.
- At least five years of experience in geospatial related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in remote sensing, satellite image processing, and land use change analysis is a must.
- Experience in managing large amounts of a variety of spatial data types, including rasters, features, and database files.
- Proficiency in cartography with an ability to produce high quality maps for publication.
TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
- Expertise in remote sensing software, including ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, or other similar programmes.
- Proficiency in standard GIS software, including ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Online, and QGIS.
- Experience working with ArcGIS Server and Google Suite tools (i.e. Google Earth Engine) would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of sustainability, conservation, environment, land use change, biodiversity management, and palm oil industry.
- Strong analytical skills, including raster analysis, generating statistics and indicators from spatial data, and automating common tasks.
- Excellent communication skills to develop and establish cooperation and rapport with respective users and teams at working levels from different nationalities.
- Creative problem-solver who likes to be challenged.
- High proficiency in English (oral and written).
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected]. Please state “Job Application – Executive, Geographic Information System (GIS)” in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.