The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 100 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. We are committed to developing the highest standards of governance that reflect our multi-stakeholder structures and commitment to consensus-based decision-making through inclusive and participative processes.
The Board of Governors (BOG) is responsible for reviewing and approving the strategic direction and budget of the organisation as determined each year by the General Assembly. The BOG delegates the delivery of these work plans to more than 25 expert committees, task forces, and working groups that are supported by the RSPO Secretariat.
The purpose of this role is to assist the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to facilitate a strong and effective relationship between all elements of the RSPO’s governance structure by providing a professional and administrative interface between the RSPO BOG, its committees, and members, and to support a smooth flow of information and resources needed to facilitate the annual strategic planning and consensus-building process.
The Manager, Strategic Planning and Board Liaison, will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with the Committee Leads within the Secretariat to ensure that the work of the committees is fully aligned with the annual work plan as approved by the BOG and the General Assembly. S/he will participate in and support RSPO’s strategic thinking, planning, and policy development, and will be responsible for managing special campaigns and projects as directed from time to time by the CEO and Co-Chairs.
The preferred location of this role is Malaysia, Indonesia, or Singapore.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- To assist the CEO in the annual strategic planning process and work closely with the Leadership Team to ensure a timely flow of information, planning tools, and analysis between meetings.
- To manage special campaigns and projects for the CEO and Co-Chairs as needed, including but not limited to the presence of RSPO at key annual events, such as Conference of the Parties (COP), the World Economic Forum, and the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- To work closely with the Stakeholder Engagement Division to help identify and build strategic policy relationships that are crucial to RSPO’s success.
- To work with the CEO, Co-Chairs, and Committee Leaders to optimise quantity, quality, and consistency of information distributed to the BOG.
- To assist the CEO and Co-Chairs in composing the agenda for Board meetings with a focus on presenting issues, questions, and the Committee’s recommendations in a strategic and timely context.
- To work with the Co-Chairs, CEO and Committee Leaders to create and distribute the Board meeting information packet.
- To facilitate meetings, events, and special sessions of the Board and its subgroups including events, conferences, and speaking engagements.
- To attend all Board meetings and be responsible for drafting the meeting minutes.
- To assist in scheduling Board and Committee meetings, and attend meetings.
- To assist in coordinating and facilitating new Board members and Committee members onboarding and orientation.
- To maintain discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all Board members and Committee members.
- To work closely with the Membership Division to manage the governance aspects of the Annual General Assembly.
- To build and maintain relationships with external advisors retained by the CEO and BOG, as needed, and coordinate the flow of information to them.
- To prioritise conflicting needs, handle matters expeditiously and proactively, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often under deadline pressures.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
- A bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science/Management, Business Management, Sustainability, or related majors.
- 6-10 years working experience, including experience in supporting C-suite executives, preferably in a non-profit organisation.
TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
- Strong business acumen with the ability to synthesise key themes and deliverables from objectives and strategies defined by senior management and the Leadership Team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, negotiation, cross-team project management, and consensus-building.
- Highly resourceful team player with the ability to be effective independently.
- Emotional maturity, patience, curiosity, and a sustained willingness to change one’s mind.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Fluency in English and proficiency in additional Asian language(s) is an advantage.
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are invited to send in their updated CV giving comprehensive details of educational background, work experience, and related achievements to [email protected]. Please state "Job Application – Manager, Strategic Planning and Board Liaison" in your email subject line.
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.